Fix Outlook ECF Error That Occurs while Starting Office 97
Outlook shows msspc.ecf error while opening Microsoft Outlook 97. It may restrict many tasks in Outlook like sending and receiving of emails and othe r items. Sometimes users may get frustrate with the irrational behavior of Outlook arises from the respective error. Usually, you may get one of the below shown two errors:
Error Message 1:
Error Message 2:
Causes behind Outlook ECF Error
There are basically two reasons due to which Outlook shows msspc.ecf error and are as follows:
- Due to incorrect set-up of "Schedule+Support" files.
- If the "Compatibility Mode" is enable.
- Wrong Registry Key Set-up.
Solution 1: Disable Compatibility Mode in Outlook
Do the steps as shown as below:
- Navigate this path: "c:/program files/Microsoft office/office12/"
- Locate and right click "Outlook.exe" and select Properties from the option
- Go to Compatibility tab > un-check the box that point to 'Run this program in compatibility mode' option
- Now click on OK and restart your Outlook
Solution 2: Remove & Reinstall Schedule+Support files using Maintenance Mode of Setup
- Start Control Panel and double click on "Add/Remove Programs" icon
- Under the Install/Uninstall tab, click on "Microsoft Office 97" or "Microsoft Outlook 97". Click on "Add/Remove" button to start the "Maintenance Mode of Setup"
- Now you should see a dialogue box saying "Welcome to the Microsoft installation maintenance program", click on "Add/Remove"
- Under Options, check-mark the box "Microsoft Outlook" > then click on "Change" option
- In the Options list, click to uncheck "Schedule+ Support Files" and the click OK and Continue
- Once after removing the Schedule+ Support Files from Set-up, do the same steps as shown as above
- Click to install the Schedule+ Support Files
- Once after you have done with the above steps, the ECF error message will get resolved
Solution 3: Check Registry Settings and Make them Correct
If the above procedure doesn’t fixes your problem then it may be possible that the registry settings for Outlook is wrongly set-up. So, in that case you need to modify the registry settings through registry editor. Before proceeding further, make sure you’ve taken the backup of registry key: System.dat and User.dat file and then follow these steps:
- Locate the path: c: \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office and copy the MSSPC32.DLL file and paste it on your computer.
- Now open Registry editor- click on Start and in the search box, type “regedit.exe” and hit Enter key.
- Once Registry editor is open, click on Registry menu and click on Export Registry File > provide a name for it and save it to your desired location (it will create a backup of registry file).
- Now to modify the registry settings, navigate the following path in your registry editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions
- Double-click on Schedule+ value name and check the value for MSSPC32.DLL. It should be: 2;01000000000001
In this article, user get to know the simple way to resolve Outlook ECF error after disabling Compatibility mode, and removing and reinstalling Schedule+Support files with the help of Maintenance Mode of Set-up.